Monday, May 6, 2013

Kiera's birth story

I know it has been 6 1/2 years since I had Kiera but I wanted her to have a copy of her birth story. I am writing it here so I will never lose it. Her story is very interesting because I didn't actually know that I was pregnant with her until I was 5 months along. I was a runner in High school so it was rare that I even had a period. I noticed that I started getting (fat) I was running everyday, working out, rock climbing, biking etc... but the weight just wasn't coming off. When I hit about 5 months I noticed my belly was now more round than it was rolls so it then hit me that I could be pregnant. I ran to the store and got a pregnancy test and I didn't even have to wait the full 3 minutes it was clearly positive. It was almost 6 months by the time I got into to see Dr. Jones. It was really cool though because I got to find out what I was having with an ultra sound my first visit :) My pregnancy was so easy as some would say because I didn't experience any morning sickness and if I did I didn't think it was that. Devin and I moved to Lehi into a cute little apartment I only had about a month and a half left at this point. We got her baby room all ready and just waited patiently for her arrival. My due date was Aug. 3rd I didn't start having contractions until Aug. 6th when Devin and I decided to go on a walk to try and get labor started. We didn't get to far on our walk when I started feeling the contractions. We headed back to the apartment and I decided to take a shower then Dev and I played chess. The contractions were about 7 minutes apart exactly so when I would go to make a move on the chess board I would have to say wait a minute.... *contraction... Ok it was kind of funny. The contractions then started coming about every 4 minutes so we decided to go into the hospital to get checked. They decided to let me stay and I started to call everyone to let them know that she was coming. The contractions weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. I do have a high tolerance for pain though so I was in labor for about 9 hours before I decided to get the epidural. They started me on pitocin and she came about 3 hours later. I pushed about 6 times and she was here! I couldn't feel a thing which was rough the doctor was telling me to push but I didn't know what I was pushing lol. I got to hold her in my arms for about 10 seconds then they had to rush her a way. She had really low blood sugar levels it scared me to death because they didn't tell me what was happening. In the mean time the placenta had deattached from my uterin wall so the doctor had to manually remove it. That was the worst pain that I had ever experienced in my life. I would rather go through labor ten more times than have that pain. Dev was there with me the whole time just holding my hand. I was gripping him so hard so he didn't really have a choice to leave me. I had Kiera at 1:27 pm I didn't get to see her until 8:00 that night. It was awful :( She was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. She came out so clean and so pure. She was just the greatest blessing I could have ever asked for. I was just in awe of what Dev and I had created. She ended up having to stay at the American Fork hospital for 3 days after I was discharged because of her blood sugar. I would go there every morning and try and feed her but she didn't want to latch on. I am assuming that is because I didn't get to feed her right after I had her. We finally got to take her home and it was just wonderful being home as a family. She latched on when we got home and I was able to feed her then. She was so such a good baby she slept through the night after 1 week of being home. I thought motherhood was so easy and just so wonderful. I was in love with this precious little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment